Virginia became the 38th state to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment.
Restoring Reproductive Rights
- HB 980: Repeals medically unnecessary restriction on women’s reproductive health.
Safeguarding Our Most Vulnerable Communities
- HB 276: Expands the definition of hate crimes.
- HB 581: Mandates cultural competency training.
- Repealed racially discriminatory language in the Acts of Assembly, including school segregation, housing discrimination, public transportation, medical care, and public documents.
- HB 789: Combats predatory short-term loan practices.
- HB 1049: Prohibits various forms of discrimination in housing, employment, education, and more based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Protecting the Environment
- Established an Environmental Justice Council to help ensure vulnerable communities of color have a place to voice environment issues in their communities.
- HB 1526: Puts Virginia on the path toward 100% renewable energy by 2050.
Promoting Criminal Justice Reform
- HB 5043: Creates a statewide mental health awareness response and community understanding services (Marcus) alert system.
- HB 5055: Strengthens laws related to citizen review boards and panels.
- HB 5069 and HB5099: Ban neck restraints and prohibit no-knock search warrants.
- HB 972: Removes the criminal penalty for simple marijuana possession.
Delivering COVID-19 Relief
- HB 5047: Prohibits price gouging during a declared state of emergency.
- HB 5064: Creates rent payment plan opportunities for tenants negatively impacted by COVID.
- HB 5046: Enables advancements in telehealth.
- HB 5106: Protects prospective tenants whose credit scores are negatively impacted by COVID.
- HB 5115: Provides housing security for Virginians.